Friday, January 11, 2013

Snow Day!

It's been several years since we've had a winter of any real magnitude.  2009 to be exact.  Posted above is one of my favorite pictures I've ever taken of my puppy.  It was taken after the storms of '09.  Honestly, those storms pale in comparison to what we received last night.  After night one of parent teacher conferences I came home to shovel around 7 inches off my driveway.  While I was shoveling I was pondering why I was doing it, because I knew I was going to have to shovel again in the morning.  As I was shoveling another 7 inches off in the morning, it hit me why I had shoveled the night before.  Could you imagine having to shovel 12-14" of snow off a driveway at once?  Not I!
I'm loving it though.  If it's going to snow, bring it on!  I would much rather a nice thick blanket of snow, than weak little storms that melt the next day.  Snow is a very beautiful thing, especially when accumulated like it is.  The funny part of it all, my dog pictured above is a little chihuahua/dachshund mix.  He's a sweet little boy, and a heck of a trooper, but sometimes, his size gets in the way, and doesn't allow him to march on!  I had to dig out some snow, just so he could find the backyard!  Poor little guy!  Lucky for him, he lives inside with the heater.
At any rate, I hope you are all enjoying the fact that you didn't have to drive your students to school this morning.  I realize not everyone is as lucky as the school teachers, so as you make your own way to work, please be safe.  Being late to wherever you're going is the far better alternative.

As for the second day of parent teacher conferences, which were cancelled today, the school is planning on making them up next Friday.  I think I'm going to stick to my original plan.  At some point this weekend, I will e-mail those of you who missed conferences, and let you know what I would have said.  Come Friday, I will plan on being at the school until 6:00.  I might specifically ask some of you to come in and chat.  Those who I don't are welcome to stop in at any time, if you want.  Just send me a response to the e-mail I send you this weekend and let me know what time would work for you.

Again, stay safe! And if you doing anything fun with this snow, please share!  I'd love to see pictures or hear stories!

"The first fall of snow isn't only an event, it is a magical event.  You go to bed in one kind of world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment, where is it to be found?" ~J.B. Priestley

No comments:

Post a Comment