Sunday, October 7, 2012

Cancer Awareness

Cancer. There I said it. Why should we be aware?

Nearly 12 million people per year are diagnosed with cancer. That's nearly 4% of all Americans.  11,000 of those cases are children under the age of 16.  Just last year, we had 4 survivors (that I know of) associated with our school.

October is specifically Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Within my classroom, I use it as a general cancer awareness.  Why?  There are more than 100 types of cancer that can affect the body. Why this month? A male wearing pink the entire month long definitely draws attention.  Why bring awareness? Many reasons I've listed already.. Here's a few more statistics: 30% of cancers could be prevented mainly by not using tobacco, having a healthy diet, being physically active, and preventing infections that may cause cancer; around 7.5 million people die from cancer each year, accounting for about 13% of all deaths worldwide; more than 30% of cancers can be cured if detected early and treated adequately.

Cancer is something that affects every single person. If you are not diagnosed, you know someone who has been. It is something that I would wish away, were I ever to find a genie lamp, but realistically, that cannot happen, thus, I do what I can.  I've walked several Relays for Life and I've donated my time and money. I've given what I can to help those with the knowledge one day bring an end to it.

Until that day, we have the grave statistics to deal with. Like this one: Primary Children's hospital has 3 new children per week admitted to their care, fighting various types of cancer.  This brings me to our idea for this year.  These kids are in the hospital for up to 10 to 12 hours at a time receiving treatment.  The chemotherapy wipes out their immune system, often times keeping them home when they're not at the hospital.  These kids could use a friend, a toy, something to do.

This year, our sixth grade is doing a service project.  First, we are going to write letters to these patients, letting them know they are not alone, that there are people out here that care.  Our goal is write at least 200 letters.  Secondly, we are going to do a toy drive, that we will then deliver to Primary Children's with our letters.  Due to the chemotherapy, and what it does to the immune system, we do have to ask that the donation items be newly purchased.  They've also asked that we steer clear of stuffed animals, because of the germs they could collect.  Here is list of items that would be perfect to donate to our cause:

Plastic toys (Barbies, action figures, small toys, etc.),
Playdoh,
Fuzzy Coloring Posters,
Nail Polish,
Yoyos,
Hot Wheels,
Coloring Books,
etc.

Again, we are trying to stay away from stuffed animals and the items donated should be newly purchased, still in package if applicable.  We will be collecting items until October 26.  If you would like to help us out, please bring the items to Mr. Pratt's class, room 203.  Along with the 200 letters we hope to write, we have a goal of collecting 200 toys.

Ghandi once said, "The best way to find yourself, is to lose yourself in the service of others." Thank you in advance for any help you will be able to give us as we "lose ourselves" in this service project.

"Cancer is a word; not a sentence." ~ John Diamond

11 comments:

  1. My children attend SAA and love it there! My daughter is in 4th grade this year, and my son is in 1st.

    My mother in law survived uterine cancer only to have it come back a year later in her breasts. She had to have a double mastectomy and to this day, 3 years later, is cancer free.

    We would love to bring some things by to help support the cause! I will be in the school on Wednesday volunteering, and will run them over to the Jr. high.

    Good for you getting the kids aware and involved in such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God glad to hear she is still cancer free that is a blessing!

      Delete
  2. My son is in 6th grade there at SAA, he lost his aunt to lung cancer 4 years ago. She had never smoked & died within a week of her diagnosis, it hit our family hard. I think this is a wonderful project for the kids to get involved with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son and daughter go to SAA. Just in the last year we've had 2 neighbors and an aunt that were told they had cancer. Our 2 neighbors are now cancer free!!! :). But my sweet aunt passed away 2 weeks ago from a rare blood cancer that spread to her bones. Thank you for doing this project!! Our family will be bringing things by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 3 daughters that attend SAA, 6th, 4th and 3rd grades. Cancer has affected our family as well. We lost my grandmother to cancer, she had breast cancer. She was in remission for ten years but it came back and unfortunately took her from us way to early. My aunt also was diagnosed with uterine cancer and went through treamtment and has been cancer free for two years. I love this project. Thanks so much for starting it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 3 children at SAA. Both of their great grandmas died from cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 3 children at SAA, ShayLee is in 9th Ambre is in 6th and Schuyler is in 2nd grade. My first Husband Bob passed away from Testicular Cancer 1993 he was 27. We tried everything to get him better. He had Chemotherapy surgeries and a Bone Marrow transplant. My Mother Ambree's Grandma, had Ovarian and Uteran Cancer. She had to have Radiation and Chemotherapy for a year. She has been in remission for 6 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a daughter in 6th grade at SAA, Emma Moon. I have had the honor to be this beautiful little girls mom along with being a nurse. I have taken care of several cancer victim's, both adults and children, and I have to say that cancer is one of the most painful time consuming disease that I have ever encountered. My heart breaks for the patient's and there amazing families. I just wanted to tell those patients thank you for coming into my life and teaching me new ways to be compassionate, loving and more caring for people I encounter every day. Finally I want to say that I have recently had caner hit more home for me than as a nurse but as a friend. My friend's mother has been diagnoised with irreversable cancer located in her chest and is choosing to seek treatment to say she did. My heart goes out to my dear friend and of course to her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maurice is in the 6th grade and he has family and friends of the family who have been hit with cancer.
    Maurice's grandmother lost her battle to cancer many years ago, and currently his aunt on his father's side is fighting that ugly disease.
    She has gone thru chemo and it appears to be under control. A close friend of the family who is a mom has won her battle against cancer. All praises to God and may he bless her to remain cancer free. A couple of months ago,a member of my daughter's Cheer Team's father lost his battle, and another family member is fighting the battle. The thing about cancer, it has no
    age,sex, or race barrel it attacks all... Let's continue to pray for those who are still in the battle, and ask God to give them the strength to fight
    and win this war against this dreaded disease. It is a wonderful project and we are glad to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Civilian Health Promotion Services and the HAWC Presents:

    October is Breast Cancer Awareness

    Pink Ribbon

    According to the American Cancer Society, about 1 in 8 women in the United States will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. In 2011,over 230,000 new cases of breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed.
    Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women. Thanks to improvements in cancer treatment and early
    detection, there were more than 2.6 million breast cancer survivors in the US in 2011. Join CHPS and The HAWC this month for events to fight
    against breast cancer!

    Attend the Festivities this month:

    Breast Cancer 5K Run & 2 Mile Walk

    Held October 17, 2012 at 12:00 pm at the Warrior Fitness Center

    First 100 participants to register and attend will receive a Beanie Hat.



    Breast Cancer Awareness Luncheon

    Held October 24, 2012 at 11:00am-12:30pm at The Landing

    Guest Speakers: Ogden Regional Women's Center and Breast Cancer Survivor
    Couple. Lunch will be served. Limited Seating Available.

    Cost: $13 for non-club members, $11 for club members.



    Contact The HAWC @ 777-1215 or CHPS @ 586-9586 for questions or
    registration. Please visit
    https://einvitations.afit.edu/inv/anim.cfm?i=125643&k=0363470F7F54 to
    register for the luncheon only. Payment is required at time of
    registration. LX leave is authorized for civilians to use wellness time
    for these events. Please RSVP by COB on October 17th.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter attends SAA and just this year her Grandfather, my Dad, was diagnosed with lung cancer. It has been scary for our family to watch this strong man so full of life struggle with this disease. It pains me to see my Dad afraid and it is so hard to know how to comfort him through this without also being afraid. He has completed his chemo and radiation treatments and I pray that the worse is behind us.

    ReplyDelete