Friday, March 23, 2012

March 23, 2012

Another week down and only one week to go before spring break! But it's not like anyone, especially me, is counting. Oh no, I'm not counting down to spring break. In fact, I'm counting down until two days before spring break. My wife and I are leaving town, the state, even the country, and taking an adventure to Holland, so I'm taking a couple days before and a couple of days after to enjoy 10 days on a completely different continent. I can't wait! This will be my first trek off American soil.

I suppose I can make mention now as to why I chose to post the science fair picture I did. Isaac earned third place according to the judges score sheets! He put together a miniature sized marble roller coaster using words that, as Mrs. Dezember says, she hadn't seen since college. Max was also awarded the Most Creative project. He went around to local businesses and such measuring himself on the height things they have by the doors to show the descrepency between the way different places have measured. Congratulations to the both of you!

As for the classroom, I have a few pictures to share. The first is a picture of a couple of our personal crests. We started by drawing a shield and then divided it into four sections. One section represents our past, one represents our present, one the future, and the last is a dream we have. A few of them are pictured below:
The other two pictures I have come from this week's DARE session. Officer Penrod is known for handing out what he calls swag. It's little prizes he can use to reward the students. The first picture comes a contest that he orchestrated. He had a Robin Yount autographed baseball. He challenged the students to come up with some form of report telling about Robin Yount and left it at that. How far the students took it was up to them. One of our students took it about as far as you can, and for that, he was rewarded the baseball:
The final picture came from one of our students returning the favor to Officer Penrod. He's always handing out swag, so she figured it was his turn to receive some. He had said earlier in the year that two of his favorite things in the world were steak and donuts and if someone could find a way to combine them, he would be in heaven. So that's what she did, combined a steak and a donut for him! Pure awesomeness!
Beyond this, things are moving along as normal. End of levels are getting closer and closer. The students will need to decide their country for their country report by Tuesday this week. I will have a sub the last two days of this coming week, and the first two days back. Also, be sure they're keeping their book report in mind. I think that's about all. I can almost guarantee I will not have another blog until after spring break, so enjoy the vacation! I hope you all have something fun planned!

"A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you've been taking." ~Earl Wilson (and I think we're all due for a good one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment