Sunday, September 27, 2009

September 21 - 25

Yet another exciting week down! Our in-class schedule got rearranged a bit this week because of some visitors we had to our school. Missoula Children's Theatre came on Monday. On the day they arrived, they held auditions for the show they were going to produce, The Princess and the Pea. And then over the course of the week, students who were accepted into the show left school a half an hour early and practiced until 7:30 at night for the performances they put on Friday and Saturday night. I've been doing theatre most of my life, and I tell you what, I was very pleasantly suprised at how delightful an evening I had coming to see the four of our students who were in the show. From Leperchauns, to dust bunnies, it was nothing like I thought it would be and far better than I would have expected for a production that went from audition to production in 5 days. Below is a picture of the four from our class that were part of the production.



Just a few reminders from this week. Book orders are due by Wednesday if you're wanting to get anything, I will be placing the order Wednesday after school. I sent home this week a note with my Parent Teacher Conference schedule on it. These are not until Wednesday and Thursday of next week (October 7 and 8). If you are unable to attend the time I have put you in, please contact me and we'll figure out a time that will work for the both of us. If the schedule happened to not make it home, also contact me and I can get you a copy of it.

I also did not realize until this week that our book reports were scheduled during the same week as Mrs. McGuire is doing the Culture fair with our kids. In an effort to alleviate a bit of pressure that week, I gave the kids the option to move it up to the week before (October 5-8). I have sent home a note that has a rubric for the Share-A-Books on it as well as your student's assigned date.

We have a short week coming up this week with Fall break giving us Thursday and Friday off. Being the end of the month, we have our September Benchmark tests we will be taking this week for Language Arts and Math. We will be using one day to review, one day to test and the other to grade. During the rest of the time in the mornings, we will be doing a Creature Feature, which is a fun little project where they will get to draw a creature and then write a descriptive enough paragraph that someone else could draw it off of just the description. The ultimate test will be when we give the descriptions to another class to see how well their drawings look like what they're supposed to look like.

In drama this previous week, we have begun reading through our script which will be the final project of the term. The script is for a short musical called The Turkeys Go On Srike. This coming week we will working on learning the rest of the songs for it. Hopefully by next week, I will have decided upon and assigned parts. Lastly, in science this week, we will be diving further into the Kingdom of Protists as we learn about animal-like Protists.

"Creativity is first of all an act of destruction." ~Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment